Coming this September, the Genealogy Publishing Coach podcast will be on air! We’ll be talking about all the ins and outs of writing and publishing your own genealogy stories. Sharing the amazing tales that come to light after years of hard research.
But how do you write and publish those stories professionally and affordably? How do you avoid companies that are after your money, but don’t care if your book ever sells? How do you learn to create something you’re proud of that leaves an amazing gift for generations to come without losing your mind or thousands of dollars?
That’s my specialty as a bestselling author and professional genealogist. Teaching people how to write and publish has been a joy for me for over a dozen years as I’ve taught all over the US at writing conferences. I’m not just a conference speaker, I’ve published with both traditional and indie companies. Why? I love being a coach. I love seeing the light in someone’s eyes when they “get it”. I love hearing back from people I’ve coached that they have a new contract or successfully published their work. Yes, I’m still writing and have more books in the works. And, I’m excited to help you write and publish, too!
- How do you choose the characters?
- How do you choose a title?
- How do you know what to focus on?
- What do you include? (And what do you exclude?)
- Can you talk about living people, deceased people, famous people?
- Is it a book, short story, or article? Or a blog post?
- What’s the real story or the point of your story?
- How do you learn to write actively and avoid passive prose to keep your readers engaged?
- What genre is it?
- How do you decide between non-fiction or fiction? (Yes, you can fictionalize real people and history. Several of my bestselling books do exactly that.)
- How long should the story be?
- What kind of editing do you need?
- What kind of interior design?
- What’s front and back matter?
- How do you handle copyright law?
- How do you design a cover or choose a cover artist?
- Ebook, paperback, hardback, audio?
- Where to publish without getting taken advantage of or pricing your book too high?
- Is it for your family or do you want to market it to other readers?
- How should you market your story?
- Should you build a social media following?
- Do you need a website?
- A pen name?
- Can you include documents, photos, journal entries?
- What questions do you have? We’ll discuss them on air!
These are just a few of the pieces of the puzzle. There’s so much more in store!
Join me, Angela Breidenbach, your Genealogy Publishing Coach with experts and successful storytelling genealogists as we demystify how to write, publish, and sell your family history story professionally and affordably. See you soon on the Genealogy Publishing Coach podcast! I can’t wait!